[CentOS] Need advice on storage

Tue Nov 13 03:58:49 UTC 2007
Kenneth Price <kprice at nowyouknow.net>

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 02:09:48 +0000 (GMT), boisvert.guy at videotron.ca wrote:
> normal!).  Now we want to upgrade the server to get better performance.
> I'd like to know if, as a temporary cheap upgrade, software RAID with a
Sil
> 3124 and 2 x Raptor WD740ADFD (74 Gigs with NCQ) in Software RAID 0 would
> bring a significant performance boost.  If it is the case, that would

You've already received a few responses about reconfiguring your entire
server, so I'll avoid that route and simply answer your question straight.

"No"

There will not be a "significant" performance boost striping only 2 drives.
 The 10K RPM Raptors alone will definitely increase performance, but there
is little/no real advantage striping them together.  Getting any
significant performance increase from a RAID array really requires at
*least* 4 drives ... the more the merrier ... although I'll probably catch
some flack from that statement. :-)

A previous poster mentioned increasing your RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb.  That was
an excellent idea and should be done in parallel with whatever drive
changes you make.

Regards,
Ken