[CentOS] perl 5.8.5-36.el4_5.2

Wed Nov 14 20:00:38 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Tom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since upgrading to perl 5.8.5-36.el4_5.2 I have had no end of problems,
> starting with needing compress::zlib which I got from rpmforge, then I
> had to reinstall scalar::util to get mailscanner working but now I can't
> install or upgrade any perl modules.
> Has anyone else had problems or can someone tell me what I've done wrong
> please?
>
> regards
> tom

OK ... I want to make something PERFECTLY CLEAR ...

Using CPAN installed modules is NOT supported while using a Package
Management system like RPM.

You should NOT use CPAN to install perl modules, nor should you use pear
to install pear modules.

That is because when you reinstall php-pear or perl, you will loose
these items that are updated/installed in any way other than via RPMS.

If you are using CentOS. then you need to get all your perl modules and
pear modules via RPM.  If you need something, it should probably exist
either at RPMForge, at KBS-Centos-Extras, at EPEL or in the worst case
condition, take one of the other modules that does exist and use it to
create the module.

Also, look in Fedora 6.7.8 and see if you can get an SRPM to make your
modules.

If you don't ... when perl or php-pear are upgraded, your install will
absolutely, positively, beyond any and all shadow of doubt be BROKEN.

(BTW, this is not to Tom .. but to the whole list ... DON'T INSTALL CRAP
FROM CPAN !!!!!!!!)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes