[CentOS] Dual boot box: WinXP & CentOS 5: Impossible to restoreWinXP?

Mon Nov 19 19:47:29 UTC 2007
Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>

On Monday, 19 November 2007, Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com wrote:
<snip>
> You can fix it all from CentOS.

Ross: In addition to coming up with another slick way to fix this box,
which I truly appreciate, you came up with the below:

>You need to run some kind of rootkit detection and cleaner on the
>system before it reboots or else it will just reinstall itself.

Question:   What would you suggest I run? Suggestions are most welcome
and solicited!  BTW, the system has been shut down and rebooted a
bunch of times (in Linux) since the Trojan Horse hit. I have the AVG
Free anti virus program running in Windows and it told me about the
Trojan Horse and that the user32.dll file was damaged. It's possible
that because the box is Spanish in Windows, I clicked incorrectly and
made this problem much worse, but I'm not sure of that.

> I would run all Windows accounts as restricted users from now on.

I'll try to figure out how to do that in WinXP. I won the box in a
raffle and it has WinXP  in Spanish, which is not my native language.
If I need to reinstall everything (I believe I can avoid that, with
the suggestions you and others on this mailing list have made), Dell
sent me an English language WinXP CD, last week, and I'll install in
English, if it comes to that.

All of your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! I am
beginning to *hate* MS Windows, but there are still a few things we
use it for. Lanny