[CentOS] Dual boot box: WinXP & CentOS 5: Impossible to restoreWinXP?

Thu Nov 22 14:43:45 UTC 2007
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:15 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Tueday, 20 November 2007, "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> <snip>

> I'm an old retired
> Assembly Language programmer (started with IBM 360/65) and I never
> worked with Unix, so this is a brand new world for me and one that I
> regret I did not work in, professionally.

>From one to another (IBM Model 25, 360/30/50/... 370/..) congrats on
making the leap. I've not done IBM assembly since 1980s, but still
recall BALR 14, save area trace layout, "standard" register usage, etc.
In '78 I leaped wholeheartedly into *IX. Encountered the shell and
exclaimed "This is the way we should've been doing it".

If I may suggest, become *intimate* with the shell as a first step.
Focus on pipes (and FIFOs, although less frequently used) and "standard
I/O" handling with redirection capability. You'll see a lot of
"regexisms" in there too, but a better and more "standard" regular
expression education will be given in other things you might look into.

Then, the various file utilities, like find, chmod, chown, ... would
accelerate your learning and enjoyment. Ditto for the text processing
utilities (although Bash has incorporated some of those functions) like
cut, paste, (e)grep.

If you still have the enthusiasm, C (and C++), (g)awk and some
relatively new-fangled (for me ;-)  ) thingy called Perl might have
interest for you.

--
Bill