[CentOS] Re: Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Thu Nov 29 22:42:38 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 11/29/2007 2:20 PM Robinson Tiemuqinke spake the following:
> --- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
>> John R Pierce wrote:
>>> afaik, the updates directory contains the latest
>> updates to all packages
>>> that have been updated since the original .0
>> release.
>>
>> Thats not true, the <rel>/updates/ dir will only
>> contain updates
>> released from the time that the <rel>/os/ was
>> released. However, that is
>> not an issue since yum does not consider
>> repositories on their own, it
>> merges all data into one set and then selects
>> packages to update,
>> therefore packages from the <rel>/os/ repository get
>> included as well.
>>
>> so, you really do want to stay with the /5/ release,
>> in order to keep
>> getting all the latest updates etc. and not use ( as
>> you pointed out
>> already ) the 5.1/ or 5.0/ directories.
>>
>> - KB
>
> The problem is whether there is a way to achieve the
> following:
>
>  Continue to install machines with Centos 5.0(!!)
> distro (not 5.1, 5.2, etc snapshots|subreleases), But
> have .../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS|i386|x86_64}/
> repositories|directories which contains updates since
> 5.0 to current level. This way I only need to feed yum
> with two repositories: centos/5.0/os/ and
> centos/5/updates/ -- some time will have local custom
> repos as well, but that is another totally different
> topic.
>
>  Currently I can not do it, because on Internet Centos
> Mirror Sites, the centos/{4,5}/updates/ are in fact
> symbolic links to
> centos/{4,5}.<latest_update_snapshot_release>/updates/
> and contains update RPMS ONLY SINCE the relase date
> {4,5}.}.<latest_update_snapshot_release>. But what I
> like to have is a accumulated updates repository since
> {4,5}.0 release date.
>
>  I could try to emulate the effect by synchronizing
> each update repository for previous subreleases, For
> example, for Centos 4 series, sync updates RPMS for
> 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 into one local repository
> and feed it to yum.conf, then sync updates for 4.5
> into another repository for yum, at last, feed the
> repository of 4.0 base os to yum as well. Totally yum
> has one base os 4.0 repo, two updates repos for
> possible??consistent initial installation and upgrade
> -- If it works, then there is no need to setup new
> kickstart/pxe for each subrelease after the latter is
> released.
>
>  Has any one done the above? If so, how is that
> working? or there is no need to do do it because there
> are accumulated updates repositories on Internet
> Mirror Sites to sync from? Or because this is
> impossible because each subrelease contains new
> versions of packages/tools not in any updates/
> repositories??
>

>  Thanks a lot.
>
> --Robinson
But doesn't yum only install the newest update package anyway? You will just
take up space with updates you might not need unless you need to downgrade a
package, and you can't do that with yum. If I right now install CentOS 4 from
the 4.0 release CD's and yum update, I will basically have the same thing as
if I installed from the 4.5 CD's and ran yum update. But the updates will take
considerably longer. I am having trouble grasping your dilema. The biggest
difference in sub-releases are the install time tools and kernels that may
have been updated when the CD/DVD's are respun.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and