[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Fri Nov 30 00:27:56 UTC 2007
Robinson Tiemuqinke <hahaha_30k at yahoo.com>

--- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> >
> > The problem is whether there is a way to achieve
> the
> > following:
> >
> >  Continue to install machines with Centos 5.0(!!)
> > distro (not 5.1, 5.2, etc snapshots|subreleases),
> But
> > have .../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS|i386|x86_64}/
> > repositories|directories which contains updates
> since
> > 5.0 to current level. This way I only need to feed
> yum
> > with two repositories: centos/5.0/os/ and
> > centos/5/updates/ -- some time will have local
> custom
> > repos as well, but that is another totally
> different
> > topic.
>
> If you install a Centos 4.0 now you can 'yum update'
> and you'll end up
> current with 4.5.  I think this works because the
> [base] repository
> floats with the symlinks to point at one containing
> the updated versions
> of everything at the point release time.  If you are
> talking about
> mirroring the contents you'll have to mirror the
> symlinked directory.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

If installed with 4.0, and run a 'yum upgrade' will
end up with 4.5 -- then, what are the repos configured
for yum? Are the repos the following and ONLY the
following (excluding custom ones)?

1, 4.0 base OS distro
2, 4 base OS distro (symbolic link pointing to 4.5)
3, 4 updates (symbolic link pointing to
.../4/updates/..., which means updates since 4.5
sub-release)

Is the above right? or you have even omitted #1 (4.0
base OS distro repo)?  Thanks.

--Robinson

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs