[CentOS] Filesystem for Maildir

Fri Nov 30 03:02:55 UTC 2007
Christopher Chan <christopher at ias.com.hk>

Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:51:25AM -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:
>>> We haven't had any notable performance problems using this at a regional
>>> ISP customer's site with about 10,000 e-mail users and several machines in
>>> a cluster delivering mail to Maildir folders that are NFS mounted to the
>>> central server.
>> I've been using ext3 on server with 20000+ boxes for quite some time now,
>> without any performance problems.
>>
>> I'm using the same kind of setup you use. Cluster, Maildir, NFS.
>>
>> Works quite nice, doesn't it ?
>
> Very.  We have a single Linux box facing the Internet which
> runs everything through postfix, amavisd, and clamav to weed out
> the phishing and worms that attack the Microsoft virus, Windows,
> then hands off messages that pass to the internal cluster using
> round-robin DNS as the poor-mans load balancer.  This box runs
> with a load average less than 1.00 most of the time, rejects
> close to 2 million messages a day on IP related tests, passing
> about a half-million through to the internal servers which do the
> spamassassin checking and delivery to the user's mail stores.

What processing and i/o power do you have on that box and how much RAM?
For the front end boxes, I had about 20-30 dual PIII 800Mhz boxes with
two SCSI disks and 1GB worth of RAM. They reject close to 180 million
messages based on access and ip rules, header and body checks (so
nothing cpu heavy) and they pass on about 3 million for routing or
further processing.