[CentOS] Replacement for Linux-HA (heartbeat) - RedHat cluster?

Fri Nov 30 23:53:15 UTC 2007
Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com>

On 30/11/2007, Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com> wrote:
> Take Xen out of the picture until you learn how heartbeat and
> ipvsadm/ldirectord actually work.  You could be having network issues
> because you are hosting it on a virtual server instead of on a real
> server.  So it's kinda hard to troubleshoot if you don't even know if
> your configs are broken.  Get two crappy boxes that you can load
> everything up on, configure them with heartbeat, get that working

Thanks for your suggestion. The reason I use Xen (beyond the huge
convenience) is that I don't have spare hardware to play with.

> where it will failover an IP.  then add some other service like
> ipvsadm/ldirectord, and take things one step at a time.  Don't try to
> setup everything all at once, it makes it harder to try to debug
> problems.

That's exactly what (I think) I did - just stuck to instructions from
someone who seems to have been in exactly the same position and got it
working.

As for network issues - I see the packets coming and going all right.
But I also see programs just crash and burn - I've just executed
BasicSanityCheck on the primary node which appeared to be working
relatively fine a couple of minutes ago (at least it got more
processes running after three minutes than the other node) and that
failed too with core dumps.

> I'm using CentOS4 and RHEL4 using dag'd rpms on a few of the CentOS
> and RHEL boxes and built from source on some of the other ones.  I
> haven't had a chance to try out a CentOS 5 system yet.  But as to your
> stability questions, we've been using LVS for about 3 or 4 years now
> and never, ever had stability problems.

So maybe I should try to get packages from dag, even though there are
ones included in CentOS?

Which exact version of hearbeat are you using right now? From reading
the history of Linux-HA it appears there was a huge change between 1.x
and 2.x

Thanks,

--Amos