[CentOS] Sound problems on envidia 6510 in Compaq SR5110NX

Chuck Mattern

camattern at acm.org
Mon Oct 1 00:28:26 UTC 2007

Following up to myself, I have ruled out a hardware problem by booting
the Fedora 7 Live CD and confirming that he card works under that
distro.  I used the F7 /etc/modprobe.conf as a cheat sheet but still am
not getting audio under CentOS 5.  I listed the loaded modules after
rebooting and found that the sound drivers still had not loaded in spite
of the modified modprobe.conf:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias eth0 forcedeth
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0

I ran modprobe snd-card-0 and all of the expected modules loaded as they
did under F7 but still no audio output.

I checked to be sure kudzu was seeing the device and it is:
# kudzu -p
class: AUDIO
bus: PCI
detached: 0
desc: "nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio"
vendorId: 10de
deviceId: 03f0
subVendorId: 103c
subDeviceId: 2a5c
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  0
pcidev:  5
pcifn:  0
'''''''''

I want to stay on CentOS for stability and longevity reasons.