[CentOS] X login screen fails on the first try

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 1 22:17:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:49:48 -0700
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Make sure DNS is working properly.  For some reason, Xorg and/or GDM
> has a problem starting up if networking is unavailable and/or DNS
> lookups can't be performed.

That's interesting.  Do you know of anything in particular that I should look
at or test in this regard?  Internet access to and from this machine appears to
be working perfectly.  (I can ssh in from here and run a web browser and browse
web pages with no problem.)

On this note, it may be relevant to note that this machine is a LTSP 4.2 server.

All of the terminals come up just as they should when the server is booted up
-- the gdm login screens appear on all of the terminals; it's just the gdm
login screen on the server itself that fails to load.

> Some judicious editing of /etc/hosts may work around this.

Do you see anything wrong with this?  It looks pretty much the same as what I
had on the Fedora 6 machine that this is replacing.

# that require network functionality will fail.       main.server    main   localhost.localdomain   localhost  theatre   webserver
## LTSP-begin ##
# The lines between 'LTSP-begin' and 'LTSP-end' were added
# on: Tue Sep 25 20:51:56 2007, by the ltspcfg configuration tool.
# For more information, visit the LTSP homepage
# at http://www.LTSP.org
#     ws001.ltsp      ws001     ws002.ltsp      ws002     ws003.ltsp      ws003     ws004.ltsp      ws004

.. and so on to   ws252.ltsp      ws252   ws253.ltsp      ws253   ws254.ltsp      ws254

## LTSP-end ##