[CentOS] Re: rolling your own kernel - guidelines?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 4 16:44:19 UTC 2007

on 10/4/2007 9:39 AM Florin Andrei spake the following:
> Let's say I want to use a much newer kernel - even one from the future,
> such as the upcoming 2.6.24. :-) What would y'all smart folks do in this
> case, in order to avoid any possible nasty consequences?
> Would you import the config file from the original CentOS5 kernel into
> the new kernel, and let the kernel deal with the differences? I.e. have
> the old configuration as some sort of baseline that can be further tweaked.
> Or some other strategy?
I would recommend not using the latest and greatest kernel with an Enterprise
distro. You have a good chance of breaking it. If you want new, use Fedora
Core. If you want stable, use CentOS and don't poke the bear!

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!