[CentOS] flex package marked as fc6 and no flex-devel?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Oct 6 12:31:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 11:38 +0500, umair shakil wrote:
> Salam,
>
> What is the problem the haan?????????? go and install flex.
>
> Regards,
>
> Umair Shakil
> ETD
>
> On 9/29/07, Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au> wrote:
>         Hi all,
>
>         I'm in the middle of setting up a build environment for
>         OpenWRT and it looks
>         like the packages need flex.
>
>         Looking at the CentOS repositories, it looks as though the
>         flex package is
>         tagged as fc6 - it also looks like there is no flex-devel
>         package at all.
>
>         Does anyone know what the go is here?
>
>         Available Packages
>         Name   : flex
>         Arch   : i386
>         Version: 2.5.4a
>         Release: 41.fc6
>         Size   : 124 k
>         Repo   : base
>
>         --
>         Steven Haigh
> <snip sig stuff>

I googled to find the post in the CentOS lists, but my memory/skills
aren't up to snuff this morning. Maybe you'll have better luck, if you
look.

Anyway, in a recent thread that mentioned the fact that fc6 stuff was in
the CentOS repository, it was pointed out that Red Hat kept some fc6
tags on stuff they included in the final release (of 5.0?). There are
probably other packages that are similarly tagged.

Because CentOS tries to be near 100% upstream-compatible, they have also
kept the tags.

HTH
--
Bill