[CentOS] Re: How to enable my RAID again

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Oct 8 19:29:21 UTC 2007

on 10/7/2007 10:40 PM Theo Band spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 10/7/2007 2:41 PM Theo Band spake the following:
>>> # mdadm -Q /dev/sda
>>> /dev/sda: is not an md array
>>> /dev/sda: No md super block found, not an md component.
>>> # mdadm -Q /dev/sda1
>>> /dev/sda1: is not an md array
>>> /dev/sda1: No md super block found, not an md component.
>>> # mdadm -Q /dev/sda2
>>> /dev/sda2: is not an md array
>>>
>>> So it looks like all info is lost. Can I create a new array with the
>>> existing LVM partitions and the free partitions without destroying
>>> any data?
>>>
>> Your raid appears to be on /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc2 /dev/sdd2
>> Try  mdadm --examine --brief --scan --config=partitions
>> and see if it sees anything.
>>
> # mdadm --examine --brief --scan --config=partitions
>
> Nothing....
> Indeed these are the partitions that are now unused and used to be part
> of the raid. Any idea what could have gone wrong when I migrated to from
> FC3 to Centos?
> I also changed the mobo of this machine and changed the CPU from single
> to a dual core one. I assume support is in the kernel, so no special
> actions should be needed to get this to work during boot up.
>
> Theo
When you upgraded you might have formatted the partitions accidentally.
If there is no raid data there, you can try something like testdisk to see if
you can recover it, but chances are that your data is gone.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and