AW: [CentOS] CentOS 5 release for IBM z/Series?

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Tue Oct 9 23:19:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Nils.Reimann at izb.de wrote:

> Hi dag!
>
> Thx for your reply!
>
> So, there will be no release in the near future of centos 5 for Z?

I didn't say that. I have no knowledge of it, but I am sure that more
involvement means either a higher probability or nearer :)

> At the moment we got a realy small z/linux installation, but i love it.
> Keeping the TCO as low as we can was necessary to satisfy the
> decision-maker.
> So we decided to choos a free linux distribution, centos was a good decicion
> we thougt. (redhat / fedora was always my favorite flavor *g*)
> It would be great if we can give something to the community!
>
> Personaly i can't help very much cause i'm the only knowledge carrier here
> for z/linux, with anoter colleague, and so we havent much time.
> How is development going on for centos on z and how can we help so i can
> talk with my head.

I have no idea, if I had known I would have told you.

Fact is that there is no mailinglist of CentOS on z-series, there is no
list of people interested in CentOS on z-series, nor is there a Special
Interest Group. (any of these would have helped immensely)

If nobody (of the people that are interested in z-series) takes
initiative, chances are that a year from now I have to answer the same
thing to a similar question.

And maybe there is more information than I have, but that surely is not in
the wiki and not publically available. (0 hits when looking for s390)

I know there is interest as on 2 occassions high profile
companies/organisations have come to me to ask about any progress and I
gave them the same answer:

``without involvement it is less likely anything will change''