[CentOS] apt-cacher for CentOS

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Wed Oct 10 11:37:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Lorenzo wrote:

> Dag Wieers ha scritto:

> > > I asked the same thing some time ago, but I wasn't able to came with a
> > > solution.
> > > I set up a local mirror of updates with mrepo: is a waste of bandwidth (I
> > > am
> > > mirroring tons of apps I don't need, laguage packs and so on), but is the
> > > "best" solution I found.
> > > At this time I guess we should ask the people that develop yum: does
> > > anyone
> > > know how to get in touch with them?
> >
> > Install squid, configure it so it only caches those files from a certain
> > location or with a certain extension and then give it a large enough pool
> > of diskspace so it can cache everything you require.
> >
> > Then use that as a proxy for all your apt/yum depsolvers.
> >
> > There is really not that much to it.
> >
> I had troubles with this setup with corrupted metadata (or similar, I don't
> remember); also you have to disable the mirrors, otherwise squid would
> download the same file for each mirror.

The metadata mention seems very fuzzy. I am not saying you did something
wrong, but at least that seems very fixable if you know what is going on.

The mirror issues seems evident and inherent to the solution. Although I
would not be surprised if there was a smart fix for linking different
location with the same content to avoid cache pollution.

> I agree that configuring local repos or squid could be of some help, but I
> don't think that there is a real solution, but just a work-around.

Then tell us what a real solution looks like ? I am confident that writing
a simple proxy server that does exactly what you want cannot be hard to
write yourself.