[CentOS] Using XEN VMs with non-US keyboards?

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Thu Oct 11 01:32:25 UTC 2007

Is there a way to use Xen VMs with non-US keyboards at the console in a
convenient way? I read somewhere in the documentation that only US-English
keyboards are supported in the Xen console, but there's more to this. I
would imagine that I then can type a character that is on a different key
in the US-English layout from my German layout by using the key where it
is on the US-English keyboard. For instance use y for z. That's how it
would work on a normal console. But with the VM it's completely different
and some characters cannot be typed *at all*. For instance, I cannot type
the / or - characters (depending on what layout I choose: de (any) will
prohibit me to type -, while us will prohibit me to type /. On the other
hand when I type y I get a y.
I assume the reason for this must be that the keyboard layout of the host
machine is de as well.
If I changed that to US-English I might be able to type and get what I
expected. But I really don't want to change the main keyboard layout.
Has anyone found a way to cope with this, so one could at least type all
characters?
The only way I can use Xen VMs at the moment seems to be to install them
and then connect via ssh.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany