[CentOS] Local mirroring of the CentOS repos

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Oct 11 11:39:40 UTC 2007

Mark pryor wrote on Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:30:46 -0700 (PDT):

> I only have a comment about the base mirror. Instead of using the internet to
make a base mirror (not sure you did it that way), you can use the
CentOS-Media.repo

Ah, well, I remember having read about this, but admit I didn't think about it.
In my case it wouldn't be usable, though. I want to setup several VMs and several
physical machines and thought it would be stupid to update them all from a remote
mirror. I set up the base repo by just copying the relevant stuff from the DVD
to the harddisk of my Win2k3 server and then retrieved updates via wget from
a mirror in Germany. Now I can install the VMs from my local mirror via FTP
(installing from http won't work, don't know why) and update them via yum
(using HTTP, it seems FTP doesn't work with yum) from the local mirror. The physical
machines get a DVD drive attached, get a minimal install, DVD drive removed and
then I can also update and add from the local mirror.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany