[CentOS] Re: Local mirroring of the CentOS repos

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 11 15:54:15 UTC 2007

on 10/11/2007 7:16 AM Ashley M. Kirchner spake the following:
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Thanks, but this will still download and keep *all* updates for a
>> platform.
>    If they exist on the mirror, then yes.  However, anything that gets
> removed from the mirror you're using, will also get deleted from your
> local copy.  That's the whole idea behind rsync's --delete flag.  In my
> case, I don't really care if the CentOS mirrors don't delete old stuff,
> I just pull everything down.  However, on the Fedora side, they do
> remove old packages, and rsync will automatically remove them from the
> local copy as well.  I backup some 15 servers that way.  They're all
> going to a single backup server where I keep up to 6 weeks worth of data
> (for some, 2 weeks on others) using rsync as a backup utility.  Using
> hardlinks between backups allows me to keep that much information.  And
> if a file gets removed from the source, it will get removed from the
> backup as well, but only for that run, not the previous ones.
>    As for not having rsync on Win2K, you can install CygWin on it and
> use rsync then.  I have a Server2003 pulling 2 TiB of data every night
> from an old Win2K server using rsync.
With the space crunch on the CentOS mirrors, I don't know why they don't just
have the latest files in the updates mirrors and move all the older stuff to
vault. If someone wants an older release of a file, you need to get it
directly anyway. It wouldn't save a ton of space, but it would save some.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!