[CentOS] CentOS 5 LiveCD better than the real one?

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 12 06:48:55 UTC 2007

--- Patrick <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> If you are using the 8.41 ATI driver don't as it will break

I am using i810. And it has still nothing to do with *writing* to swap
failing with I/O errors!

> iirc if your swap partition/available swap is too small hibernate can fail.

It is not. The *same* partition works with Fedora 7, Mandriva 2008, and some

> Don't use vga=... in your grub.conf as it may break suspend/resume.

I guess it would break the *resume*, but could not raise I/O *write* errors!

But I don't use vga= with RHEL5 clones anyway, as I remember it was a
regression and it was not supported at some point.

> Also make sure that the kvm, kvm_intel, iwl3945 modules are unloaded
> before suspending. This is done in /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules
> Make sure you # chmod 755 unload_modules
> File contains something like:
> SUSPEND_MODULES="iwl3945 mac80211 cfg80211 kvm_intel kvm"

Uh, I'll check later, but I don't seem to be using neither of them.
> See this "quirk" webpage with tons of help:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-debug.html
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-acer.fdi

Thx. I guess I should digg also on
JIC it has something of help for RHEL5.

> At least you know that it can work. That's better than not working
> at all :)

> Suspend/resume/hibernate stuff is complicated and the zillions of
> different laptops out there all with their (buggy) bios and acpi
> implementations isn't helping either. So with that in mind imho I think
> it could be much worse. There is a lot of work going on to ensure that
> laptops just work. Laptop quirks are gradually added to hal-info which
> should make more and more laptops work correctly. If you find the quirk
> fix for your laptop please send the relevant info to the hal-info
> mailing list (see that "quirk" web page I gave above).

Yeah, but... on this laptop, even distros that were released *prior* to RHEL5
manage to hibernate! (e.g. openZuZE 10.2)

Well, if I'll discover smth over the weekend, I'll let you know.

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca