[CentOS] A little help with yum.d repo files

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 17:47:34 UTC 2007

On 10/13/07, Bob Taylor <bob8221 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to CentOS. I was running Fedora core 3 before I installed CentOS
> 5.0.
>
> I'm looking at the files in CentOS /etc/yum.d and the same files in
> Fedora 3. I'm a little confused as I have never looked at yum before. I
> now have a full time connection so now I can use yum.
>
> I have been looking for supported rpms for XEmacs and Gnucash.
>
> What repos do I need to add to obtain these two apps with their
> dependencies and at least one example for CentOS?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bob

Read the wiki article:

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

and install external repos as neeed.  But be very careful and
understand how they should be enabled and set up with priorities etc.

For example, xemacs is available from KBS-extras (CentOS-5 version is
still in testing).  gnucash may be in the EPEL repo, but use this
repository with care (as noted in the wiki).  Another way to get
gnucash (for C5) is to rebuild from the src.rpm file for Fedora Core
6.

Akemi