[CentOS] umount'ing a /media/disk... as a user

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:11:02 UTC 2007

On 10/15/07, Charles E Campbell Jr <charles.e.campbell at nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Currently, whenever I attempt to umount /media/disk (or -1, etc), I
> either have to be user or have to have given the account sudo
> privileges.  Since these "disks" are usually just flash-memory sticks,
> I'd really rather have the permission to umount them be given to users.
> The /etc/mtab shows the /media filesystems, /etc/fstab does not.
>
> Thank you,
> Charles Campbell

Charles,

During a quick google session I found this feedback:

whats wrong with using the "su" command?

And after laughing for a while I found alternatives, udev rules:

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

You could also use a automounter approach, kernel patch or suid on a
custom compiled mount command etc.

/ Nicolas