[CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TB ARRAY

Dan Carl

danc at bluestarshows.com
Mon Oct 15 16:41:56 UTC 2007

Original the array was attach to an HP server via a Smart Array
Controller.(which I didn't setup, I just inherited the problem)
This controller no longer recognizes the array even though the front panel
of the array indicates its intact.
I then took the array and plugged it into my Centos server and it recognized
it ...
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: XD-T112- Model: 212R Rev: R0.0
Type: Direct-Access

But with errors
 In dmesg have this:
sda: Mode Sense: bf 00 00 08
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda: unknown partition table
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda

I have no experience with the Smart Array Controller, just what I read the
past couple of days.
Here's how it was mounted on the HP server
/dev/cciss/c0d1 /stor02 ext3 defaults 1 1
Is there a way I can get the data off the array with my Centos server?
Any help/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated, I've hit a brick
wall.