[CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TB ARRAY

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Oct 15 19:18:26 UTC 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007, John R Pierce wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > On Monday 15 October 2007, Dan Carl wrote:
> >> But with errors
> >>  In dmesg have this:
> >> sda: Mode Sense: bf 00 00 08
> >> SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
> >> sda: unknown partition table
> >> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
> >
> > Try "mount -oro /dev/sda /mnt/tmp" (or whatever) or just see if there's a
> > superblock there with "tune2fs -l /dev/sda".
>
> he has a hardware raid set of drives originally from a HP/Compaq
> SmartArray controller, now connected to a simple non-raid scsi
> controller.   sorry, thats not gonna play no way no how.

Since he only mentioned one device on his centos, there are centainly
plausible ways this could work. The original cciss array could have been a
single drive, could have been a raid1, could have been a misunderstood hwraid
just tunneled through the host adapter as a single driver, etc.

We'll just never know until he either tries or gives us more info.

/Peter