[CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TBARRAY

Dan Carl danc at bluestarshows.com
Mon Oct 15 20:42:35 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Watters" <wattersm at liquidweb.com>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external
2TBARRAY

> > So thats why I connected it to a SCSI non-raid controller which does.
> > lvndiskscan on my Centos server even can tell the size of it.
> > /dev/sda                 [        2.00 TB]
> > The external array has it's own built in raid controller.
> > The Bios the SmartArray said it was a raid 0 2048GB failed.
> > I not sure why the SmartArray sees it as that because the external array
is
> > configured as a raid 5 with spares.
> > Im not familar with the SmartArray and don't have another to try.
> >
> > Is there no way to access the data other than via the SmartArray?
> >

> > /Peter
> >
> What do you mean by connected it?
The array that I'm tyring to recover is a SCSI-toSATA 2U external Raid
device.
It connects to any u320 controller and is suppose to show up to Linux as 1
SCSI drive.
Quote from the manual:
"These host interfaces are host O/S independent and will operate on any
system that has a working SCSI or Fiber interface
The DAS is made up of several components including a RAID controller,
backplane board with intelligent environmental monitoring, chassis, power
supplies, fans, front control
panel with LCD display and hard drive bays."

>Are all drives from the old array
> connected?  Without having the drives attached to the original
All the drive are in the external array, and it says the Array is
functioning properly.

> controller you may not be able to get much from it, Linux would still
> see the individual SCSI drives but that doesn't help if you want the
> file system.
>
> You may want to take the old RAID card out of the other server and
> install it, that is the only way you're going to get anything from it.
The Smart Array card that it was originally connected to doesn't recongize
it.
The SmartArray is in a working server and is currently running an internal
Raid 5.

My guess is there was some hardware failure on the external side of the
controller or the external array.
My reasoning for this, is if I connect the A Channel of the external array
to my Centos server
my SCSI card doesn't recognize it. But if I connect it to the B channel side
it does

I would love to be able to connect the external array to another SmartArray
controller and see if it recogizes it, but I don't have one.