[CentOS] NIS problems

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 17 22:57:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Clint Dilks wrote:

> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> I've got a RHEL5 server acting as a NIS/NFS server, and connected one C5
>> machine just fine.
>>
>> I'm trying to connect another, and for the life of me, cannot figure out
>> why NIS won't bind.  NFS works fine.  ypbind just hangs.  I disabled
>> SELinux and the firewall.   I just cannot get it to bind.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

> Hi do you have the appropriate entry in /etc/hosts for ypserv on NIS Server ?

Yep.  This is on a small lan - /etc/hosts acts as local dns.

The error is the one when ypinit -s server hasn't been run.   I've had two
successful runs on 32-bit C5 adding said 32-bit hosts to the network, but
this one 64-bit C5 system is giving me the NIS problems.  I can ssh, ping,
and doing anything else I want.  Again, the 32-bit hosts work fine against
the server.   This one 64-bit machine is simply giving me the NIS
headaches.

Thanks for any/all ideas.

Scott