[CentOS] restrict network access

Lorenzo Quatrini lorenzo at gmk.it
Fri Oct 19 12:54:30 UTC 2007

Arne Pelka ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I have two pc using centos 4, these machines need only access to the
> (big, class b) local network. Because of security reasons the network
> access should be restricted to this local network - mainly the users of
> these pc should not be able to access webpages outside of the local
> network. My problem is, that I have no own centos repository and
> therefore these two pc need access to the centos mirrors to get updates.
> What would be the best way to restrict the network access to the local
> network and allow the access to some external addresses (a centos mirror
> and maybe some other servers/websites).
> I was thinking about iptables but I'm not very experienced in this
> questions - maybe there is an easier way. The configuration with
> iptables seems to be very complex, I was skimming through some tutorials
> and the man pages.
>
> In thanks and with best reagrds,
> Arne

I would setup a box with a proxy (eg. squid) and grant full internet access
only to that box. On the other boxes either remove the default route, or block
on the router/firewall internet access.
On the proxy you can easily configure proxies for other services too (eg.
pop3/imap) and filter out traffic from/to Internet at will
(dansguardian/squidguard); on the pc's you just need to setup the proxy on
yum.conf to enable yum updates and (if needed) configure the proxy on your
browser, you email-client and so on.
I'm still on my way to figure out how to implement a simple yum cache/proxy; as
soon as I have news I'll let you know, as in that case you don't need anymore
to setup squid and the proxy box will be really trivial to setup.

Regards

Lorenzo Quatrini