[CentOS] Memory problems with CentOS box

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Fri Oct 19 21:21:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:13:13 +0100
Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:

> Would it be possible that the DIMMs are being destroyed by some software component from the OS, perhaps the I2C management? The DIMMs do have EPROMS... Are they being incorrectly accessed by some software component and their program modified?

I very much doubt that.

> Could this be the board's fault? And how?

There are many things that could create the problem you describe and they are
all hardware problems.  A faulty power supply or a motherboard that is
providing incorrect power to the ram slots could cause these failures.  Dirt in
the slots or poor ventilation could also cause this.  Crappy line voltage from
your power company.

The only software-ish thing that I can think of that would cause problems is if
you set the motherboard's bios to values that caused the board to overheat or
overload in some way.  Did you play with the bios, especially any
"overclocking" or "high performance" features?  Again, that's not Centos at
fault; set your bios to use normal values and see if the problem goes away
(assuming that you haven't fried the board already, of course).

There are probably other things that could cause these failures as well but
again, it's pretty much all hardware related so I would look there and not at
anything operating-system or software-related.