[CentOS] arp corrupted

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Sun Oct 21 17:26:35 UTC 2007

Bobby wrote:
> Unless I try to reach the client web server from the A/Vserver, then it fails
> and arp says:
>  Address              HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask            Iface
>  corp.domain.com          (incomplete)                              eth0
>  dell11.domain.com  ether   00:06:29:AF:A3:67   C                 eth1
>            ether   00:20:78:0F:AC:31   C                   eth0
> One can also see the arp requests go out on eth 0 rather than eth1:
>  arp who-has tell

net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_filter = 1

into your /etc/sysctl.conf

and run (for the time being)

sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_filter=1

Linux implements the weak host model, so packages are accepted on any
interface, *if* the traffic is directed at the host.

When arp is used, this model doesn't always work. That's why you should
use the sysctl setting above.