[CentOS] Installing Skype in CentOS (4.4)

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Oct 22 00:29:30 UTC 2007

Steven Vishoot wrote:
>> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtCore.so.4 is needed
>> by package skype
>> Error: Missing Dependency: qt4-x11 >= 4.2 is needed
>> by package skype
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtGui.so.4 is needed
>> by package skype
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtDBus.so.4 is needed
>> by package skype
>> Error: Missing Dependency:
>> libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.4) is needed by
>> package skype
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtNetwork.so.4 is
>> needed by package skype
>> Error: Missing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is
>> needed by package
>> skype
>>
>> So how do I resolve this missing dependency problem
>> using yum please?
>>

> it looks like you need qt4.2 or higher, but i do not
> know how that is going to affect the rest of your
> system if you install that package.

A quick survey of one of my 4.5 systems shows qt being "required" by
quite a number of important packages.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to
roll the dice on upgrading it without doing some checking around to make
sure it doesn't break other important libraries.  If it was a relatively
minor version increment, I'd be less worried, but you're talking
3.3.mumble --> 4.2+ here.

Best,