[CentOS] C5 i386 DVD boot problems

Scott Ehrlich

scott at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 22 17:13:33 UTC 2007

I tried to boot from two different CentOS 5 DVDs, both pass the checksum
test, and both give me the same error on a Dell laptop from either GUI or
text install modes:

invalid compressed format (err=2)
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(253,0)
Kernel panic...

I did some google searching and learned other people have had the same
problem, but no resolutions were ever posted.

I'm downloading the CD version and will see if that makes any difference.

Assuming it won't make a difference, how do I resolve this so I can get
CentOS installed on the system?

Thanks.

Scott