[CentOS] Centos 5 on Large Disks.

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Oct 23 09:23:34 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007, Anup Shukla wrote:
> I think its finally got into my head now. :)
>
>  From what i understand (after your replies and some more googling)
> GRUB cannot boot from gpt labeled drives.
> So no matter how i partition them, it just wont boot.

Correct.

> So finally, i am putting a 300G SATA to act as the "system" drive.
> Then use the other 750G's to be the big RAID 5 Volume (XFS)

That will work. Another way is to see if the raid-controller can present two
volumes from your raid5, one small (for OS) and one big (for gpt large fs).
If this works then you'll get one device on which you can use msdos
partitions and boot from and one (>2T) on which you use gpt (or simply lvm
directly on the device).

/Peter