[CentOS] Centos 5 on Large Disks.

Anup Shukla anup at iamcool.net
Tue Oct 23 10:07:08 UTC 2007

Sorry, the previous mail i sent was not correctly quoted.
Corrections below.

Anup Shukla wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
>> On Tuesday 23 October 2007, Anup Shukla wrote:
>>> I think its finally got into my head now. :)
>>>
>>>  From what i understand (after your replies and some more googling)
>>> GRUB cannot boot from gpt labeled drives.
>>> So no matter how i partition them, it just wont boot.
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>>> So finally, i am putting a 300G SATA to act as the "system" drive.
>>> Then use the other 750G's to be the big RAID 5 Volume (XFS)
>>
>> That will work. Another way is to see if the raid-controller can
>> present two volumes from your raid5, one small (for OS) and one big
>> (for gpt large fs). If this works then you'll get one device on which
>> you can use msdos partitions and boot from and one (>2T) on which you
>> use gpt (or simply lvm directly on the device).
>>
>> /Peter

Yes, thought about it.
But DELL PERC does not seem to be able to do that.
That is atleast what i have found out till now.
Wish it was possible.

Just in case, if anyone knows better, please let me know.
I have a Dell PE2950

Regards,
A.S