[CentOS] Upgrading PHP + MySQL on CentOS 3

David Christopher Zentgraf deceze at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:57:12 UTC 2007

On  23. Oct 2007, at 19:32, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Have you tried renaming libmysqlclient.so.10? Also, are you sure
> that it
> is libmysqlclient.so.10 that is getting used and not the client coming
> with PHP? If I remember correctly PHP (at least before 5) links
> against a
> client library that comes with it's source by default. So, if you are
> building without specifying an external library it should use it's
> own for
> linking.

Yes, pretty sure:

$ ldd /usr/lib/php4/mysql.so
libmysqlclient.so.10 => /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10 (0x00f72000)

I tried compiling PHP with '--with-mysql', '--with-mysql-dir=/usr'
and without explicitly specifying it, always the same outcome. I'm
kinda surprised that even the built-in mysqlclient libs don't work as
I expect them to.

I was thinking about either renaming .so.10 or symlinking it to .so.
15, but I'd really prefer to not mess with these kind of things by
hand and rather have everything updated correctly with the correct
procedure of RPMming/compiling.

Chrs,
Dav