[CentOS] Re: Centos 5 on Large Disks.

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 23 15:15:22 UTC 2007

on 10/23/2007 2:06 AM Anup Shukla spake the following:
> James A. Peltier wrote:
>> James A. Peltier wrote:

>>> My understanding is that grub and lilo are not able to boot off of
>>> GPT labeled disks currently.  Given the size of currently available
>>> disks, this will probably change soon, however, for now you need a
>>> small partition to boot a large disk.
>>>

>> sorry, a bit quick off the trigger, but essentially, if you wanted to
>> use a single RAID-5 volume of this size (even if you configured it as
>> you said) the GPT label for the volume would be what gets you cuz of
>> the boot loader.
>>
>> The use of LVM and XFS, just have to do with the way they handle
>> larger disks.  With LVM you can lay out the disks in a bit more fine
>> tuned manner that allows you go get around some limitations in certain
>> file systems.  XFS is just recommended because it is a very good
>> performer and was meant to handle large file systems from its
>> inception.  Feel free to use JFS, ReiserFS or your local don-juan-ho
>> file system you like
>>

> I think its finally got into my head now. :)
>
>  From what i understand (after your replies and some more googling)
> GRUB cannot boot from gpt labeled drives.
> So no matter how i partition them, it just wont boot.
>
> So finally, i am putting a 300G SATA to act as the "system" drive.
> Then use the other 750G's to be the big RAID 5 Volume (XFS)
>
> Yes, i lose if the 300G fails, but i think i can do something about that
> later.

You did say a hardware raid5 right?
You just need to have the /boot partition at the beginning of the array, and
your raid card should have some sort of carving feature. You just need to make
sure you have multi-lun support going, and with your kernel and initrd in the
boot partition you should be able to boot.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and