[CentOS] dovecot fails to start at boot, but starts manually

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Oct 24 12:17:06 UTC 2007

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> dovecot-1.0-1.2.rc15.el5 on CentOS 5
>
> I reboot the server and dovecot fails to start. But I can then issue
> "service dovecot start" and it starts up just fine. How to debug? I
> don't see anything in /var/log/messages nor /var/log/maillog.
>
> I did have to set SELinux to permissive (in /etc/selinux/config), as
> dovecot can't get at its SSL certs. I'm debugging that independently.
> (SELinux is also disabled for clamav, another item to debug.)

This is something I am having problems with using USB2 connected
external storage.

The USB filesystems are not initialized when it is time for mount ...
therefore I need to do a noauto in /etc/fstab and mount them later in
the boot process.

This caused httpd to not start (as there was a directory used as the
DocumentRoot for a Virtual Machine on the USB drive).

Is it possible that you are mounting a filesystem after the postfix
tries to start ... and it is available after startup but not at
init.d/postfix start time?