[CentOS] Re: Centos 5 on Large Disks [SOLVED]

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 24 18:42:54 UTC 2007

on 10/23/2007 10:16 PM Anup Shukla spake the following:
> Anup Shukla wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Sorry if this has been answered many times.
>> But i have been going through a lot of pages (via google search).
>> The more i search, the more its confusing me.
>> I have a server with 6 (750G each) SATA disks with H/W Raid 5.
>> I plan to allocate the space as follows
>> swap 8G
>> /boot 100M
>> / 20G
>> -- and remaining space to /data{1,2,3,N} (equal sizes)
>> However after the installation and reboot, i got an error about bad
>> partition for /data8
>> I had hit the 2T limit.
>> Then i found this page at
>> http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/linux_large_filesystems_support.php
>> which speaks of using Parted/LVM2 and XFS.
>> If i understand this correctly,
>> I need to have 1 disk to host the CentOS installation.
>> And i can use the other 5 disks in a RAID array
>> (label type gpt...)
>> Is it not possible to partition and use the existing RAID 5 volume?
>> I really am not sure about how to proceed for this big disk problem.
>> Any ideas/links will really help.
> Dell PERC 5/i "does" have an option to create multiple LUNs.
> So, i have been quite moronic in not trying to apply logic initially.
> As for now, i am creating a small "system" disk,
> and multiple 500G "data" disks.
> I do not really need to have 1 big partition for the data.
> So this is a lot simpler setup i believe,
> and no chance of hitting the 2T limit.
> A big thanks to everyone who guided me, and my apologies if this
> qualifies as a "waste of time" post.
> This, for sure, is the best list i have ever experienced.
> Thank you all again.
> Regards,
> A.S
I would not make the data partitions that small as linux will play hell
thinking it really is separate drives and slow down. Make them just under the
2T size.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!