[CentOS] Re: Site about qmail (with CentOS as SO)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 24 20:59:53 UTC 2007

on 10/24/2007 12:34 PM Johnny Hughes spake the following:

>>> That is very common with applications. They don't back patch old
>>> versions, and the problem you ask about might be already fixed. Just
>>> look at the dovecot list. People still pop in and ask why 0.99 has
>>> this problem, because that is what their distro came with, but they
>>> are currently at 1.0.5, and have 1.1 in beta. Who has the time to
>>> backport fixes to old versions if you don't get paid for it?
>> And what's the point even if you do get paid?  The problem is really in
>> distributions that by policy won't do a version level app upgrade even
>> in instances where it would clearly be better than patching the beta
>> version they chose to include.
>>

> Well ... Even IF the dovecot people backported patches to 0.99 ... RHEL
> would probably not bring those patches in anyway, unless it fixed a
> problem that they have in the RH bugzilla.  That is the whole purpose of
> freezing on the enterprise distribution.
>
> They fix security updates and bugs and you run it like it was released
> ...  IT IS THE WHOLE FREAKING POINT.
>
> IF that isn't the distribution type you want ... CentOS is not the
> distribution for you :D
>
> (You being users in general and not anyone in particular)

And if you really need a particular package newer, you just have to bite the
bullet and either manage it yourself, or use a third party trusted repo that
has what you want. Even Centos made the redhat application stack available "if
you want it".

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and