[CentOS] Large scale Postfix/Cyrus email system for 100,000+ users

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 01:47:14 UTC 2007

Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> This is the 'I have the money' way of doing this ;-)
>>
>> There are at least 2 free ldap servers.  Or if you are stuck with
>> mysql you can probably add your own field for delivery host.
>
> The service provider I used to work for tried openldap in 98. They got
> burned big time. Maybe it is up to the task today. What kind of
> hardware, though, would you use for one that the OP indicates will get a
> lot of writes? Everything I have read says LDAP is not for high write
> problems.

1998 was a long time ago.  Red Hat (fedora) directory server has claimed
  good performce for several years now.
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

But the openldap guys think they are better - see page 33 of the pdf
linked from this page:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ldap@umich.edu/msg01151.html
(22000 queries/sec, 4800 updates/sec on a terabyte database with 150
million entries - but I think the test box had 480Gigs of RAM...)

>> Does anyone have enough faith in a free NFS server to use it in this
>> scenaro these days?   How about opensolaris on top of zfs?
>>

> I would say. No comment on opensolaris in this scenario but I am happy
> with zfs as an offsite online backup solution.

Are you using the incremental send/receive operation for this?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com