[CentOS] group descriptors corrupted on ext3 filesystem

Barry Brimer

lists at brimer.org
Thu Oct 25 08:33:36 UTC 2007

I am unable to mount an ext3 filesystem on RHEL AS 2.1.  This is not the
boot or root filesystem.

When I try to mount the file system, I get the following error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj1,
        or too many mounted file systems

When I try to run e2fsck -vvfy /dev/sdj1 I get the following error:

Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
Segmentation fault

When I try running e2fsck -b 294912 -vvfy /dev/sdj1 (providing backup
superblock location ..which I tried several of) I get the following error:

Segmentation fault

In dmesg, after trying to mount the filesystem, I get the following
error:

EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,145)): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for
group 128 not in group (block 523)!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry