[CentOS] Migrate CentOS 3 to 4 to 5?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Oct 25 09:43:32 UTC 2007

David Christopher Zentgraf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the previous debacle with PHP and MySQL it has been decided that
> we think about an upgrade from CentOS 3 to 5, since that would solve our
> problem, if successful. I tried finding information on how to best
> attempt this, but thanks to a plethora of contradictory information my
> head is now spinning with a few rpm (rounds per minute).
>
> The situation is as follows: Remote box at our host who offers CentOS 3
> as the most up-to-date OS, unless you pay them an unholy amount of money
> for RHEL or Windows licences. Popping in a CD for an upgrade does not
> work for us. We can and will have the OS restored to a clean
> post-install state prior to updating. I have little intimate knowledge
> with CentOS, RPMs or yum, but general good UNIX experience. I know
> "live" yum migrations are greatly discouraged, but it seems to work for
> people.
>
> The most detailed instructions I seemed to be able to find are here:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=382
> Can anybody confirm this to work, is there anything else that's implied
> but not spelled out?
> Another, differing approach seems to be this:
> http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/software/tc1000/rmredhat.htm
> Any ideas about it?
>
> Any hints, or rather detailed steps, would be greatly appreciated.

You say that the Box will be restored to ac "clean post install state"
... does that mean you do not have any data that you need on there?

If you will not have any "data" on there that is important or needs to
be preserved then there is no need to UPGRADE the install at all ... you
can do a remote VNC install of CentOS-5 via http.  Here is an example:

<http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/upgrading_to_centos4_over_a_remote_vnc_c>

For CentOS-5, this option needs adding to the "kernel" line:

noipv6

All Anaconda options can be viewed here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes