[CentOS] rsync bug with --relative and --delete fixed in CentOS5?

Christian Volker cvolker at vmware.com
Fri Oct 26 18:03:00 UTC 2007

I'm using rsnapshot-1.3.0-1.el5.rf (from DAG) and rsync-2.6.9-1.el5.rf (from
CentOS5) together.

Rsnapshot now starts every task with the "--relative" switch. Without this
switch it will backup all subsequent folders (like /proc and so on) which
isn't desired. So I can't omit the "--relative".

But there was a bug for rsync prior to 2.6.9 that it won't delete files from
the destination directory when "--relative" and "--delete" are used together.
See at http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/rsync-2.6.9-NEWS for this.

Now I figured out that this bug is fixed in FedoraCore5. See
.html The version there is rsync-2.6.9-1.FC5.1.

In CentOS5 I have rsync-2.6.9-1.el5.rf

Now my question is if this bug is fixed in CentOS5/ RHEL5?

If not, is there something scheduled to fix it or should I build the rsync
package from the source of the FC5 tree?

Christian Volker

Technical Support Engineer
Parnell House, Barrack Square, Ballincollig, Co. Cork, Ireland