[CentOS] Postgresql and shell script

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Oct 30 16:26:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 12:05 +0100, Tronn Wærdahl wrote:
> I have a shell script (sh) where I create a user and import data to a
> postgres database
>
> <snip>
> su -c "createuser -A -D -P $PG_user" postgres
> su -c "psql -d$PG_database -h localhost -U$PG_user -W -f
> postgresql.sql " postgres
> </snip>
>
> when the script executes those command, it ask for a password, how
> could I do this without have to enter the passwd, I would like that it
> reads the password from a variabel, that excists in a separate file,
> like
>
> <variable file>
> PG_passwd=secret
> PG_user =username
> PG_database=simple
> </variable file>
----
not at all an answer to your question but what I have found to be useful
is to use this in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf

host   all     all             192.168.1.0/24          pam

which means that if the user exists and has his own database in
postgres, the user authenticates against the normal auth system (pam)
which is set to auth against LDAP which means that I don't have to worry
about maintaining an extra password and if I disable the users login,
it's disabled everywhere.

Craig