[CentOS] rate limiting question between two hosts

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Tue Oct 30 20:57:53 UTC 2007

Rogelio wrote:
> If I need to rate limit file transfers between to machines, what can I
> do at the host-level within CentOS, and what might I need to "yum
> install" in order to do?
>
> (For example, say I would like to rsync something, and then I would
> like to make sure that I don't exceed, say, 10 Mbs.)

rsync has a built in rate limiter.  See the man pages for more details

--bwlimit=KBPS          limit I/O bandwidth; KBytes per second

Other ways would be to utilize a firewall or switch with built in QoS to
perform such tasks.  I believe Netfilter supports this type of thing.

--
James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE
E-Mail  : jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca