[CentOS] Buggy SATA detection w/CentOS5 + Intel H6300ESB?

Tue Oct 2 19:29:39 UTC 2007
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

I've been handed a Supermicro system that is using the Intel® H6300ESB
Serial ATA Controller (Supermicro P4SCI motherboard).  When I install
CentOS5, everything seems to work OK, but it has absolutely horrid disk
performance.  Upon further inspection, it seems that the SATA disks are
being treated as legacy IDE devices using PIO.  Gah....

Has anyone else had this problem?  I recall having similar problems last
year sometime with some Supermicro systems, but I can't seem to remember
how I fixed it.  :-)

Best,