[CentOS] Look for users in both LDAP and /etc/passwd

Tue Oct 9 14:14:45 UTC 2007
Tronn Wærdahl <tronnw at gmail.com>

Im running CentOS 5 with samba configured as PDC, with samba 3.0.24 and
openldap-servers-2.3.30-2.
My /etc/nsswitch.conf is like this:

passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:        files ldap

The problem is when I try to restart LDAP (/etc/init.d/ldap restart) then
the init script just hangs. I suppose it will try to run slapd as the ldap
user
The ldap user is not in LDAP only in /etc/passwd, how can i configure my
system to look for users first in LDAP and then in /etc/passwd

When I remove LDAP from my /etc/nsswitch.conf, so it looks like below

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:        files

then ldap start up nicely, but then my LDAP users can't sign in

I tried to do different changes in pam, but without any progress

Please advice