[CentOS] Problem creating volgroups with kickstart installations (on xen)

Sat Oct 13 19:39:59 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

I'm testing doing kickstart installations on Xen VMs. This is
the first time I'm trying out kickstart at all, so I rather think I'm
doing something wrong in the kickstart configuration than it is
a Xen issue.

I use a modified kickstart file from an earlier manual installation
with a very basic filesystem setup. It fails with
"SystemError: vgcreate failed for VolGroup00". The Xen VM file is
allowed to grow up to 2GB. The kickstart commands for partioning are:

clearpart --all --initlabel --drives=xvda
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=xvda
part pv.2 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=xvda
volgroup VolGroup00 pv.2 --pesize=32768 pv.2
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol00 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1024 --grow
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=416 --grow --maxsize=832

This is taken exactly from the "template" kickstart file, I just
added the --initlabel after reading the kickstart tips on the wiki.
I read the kickstart part of the RH Installation and Deployment Guide,
but it didn't help in this respect. Apparently --pesize=32768 is a
maximum for volgroup extent sizes and is harmless.

When I change to creating a partition for / it works just fine.

Can someone help?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany