[CentOS] disk partitioning thoughts

Mon Oct 15 13:03:45 UTC 2007
Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com>

In the past I basically used 3 partitions for hard drives.

partition 1: was all centos (typically 20G)
partition 2: was swap (typically 2*RAM - 2G)
partition 3: was everything else I wanted, needed or carded about,
database files etc...

Now with really big drives coming along 750G and 1T
partition 3 is getting big. Except for time to format is there a problem
with that???

I'm not really to fond of trying to break up partition 3 but I am just
wondering if there is a major
reason why I should not be partitioning my systems this way?

My systems are really just running my application (that runs on linux).
It is not a huge email server,
not a huge apache server. Just running linux with 100% uptime (sweet).
Again just my application
running an a stable platform. My application has databases that grow
big. My database is not MySQL
it is ISAM based.

Thanks,

Jerry