[CentOS] Quota inside chroot environment

Thu Oct 25 10:19:58 UTC 2007
David E. Meier <dev at eth0.ch>

Hi List,

I have users chroot'ed on a CentOS 5 server. They should be able to check
their current disk usage with the quota command. Basically, it works -
however, there are some drawbacks I hope someone can help me on:

In order for the user to access the aquota.user file I hard-linked it into
the users root. Unfortunately the users do not 'see' any changes in disk
usage until quotaoff/on is executed. I have a FreeBSD 5.3 server with the
same setup where this step is not required. I also noticed while quota is
enabled I cannot even create the hard link on the aquota.user file into a
users root.

Can someone explain what's wrong about my setup or does anyone have
another approach to get quotas working for chroot'ed users?

David