[CentOS] Re: Sound problems on envidia 6510 in Compaq SR5110NX

Mon Oct 1 20:05:17 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 9/30/2007 5:28 PM Chuck Mattern spake the following:
> Following up to myself, I have ruled out a hardware problem by booting
> the Fedora 7 Live CD and confirming that he card works under that
> distro.  I used the F7 /etc/modprobe.conf as a cheat sheet but still am
> not getting audio under CentOS 5.  I listed the loaded modules after
> rebooting and found that the sound drivers still had not loaded in spite
> of the modified modprobe.conf:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
>
> I ran modprobe snd-card-0 and all of the expected modules loaded as they
> did under F7 but still no audio output.
>
> I checked to be sure kudzu was seeing the device and it is:
> # kudzu -p
> class: AUDIO
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> desc: "nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio"
> vendorId: 10de
> deviceId: 03f0
> subVendorId: 103c
> subDeviceId: 2a5c
> pciType: 1
> pcidom:    0
> pcibus:  0
> pcidev:  5
> pcifn:  0
> '''''''''
>
> I want to stay on CentOS for stability and longevity reasons.

Could the Fedora 7 live cd have a newer/different driver than CentOS?
AFAIR CentOS is more in line with Core 6, and Core 7 might have a newer driver
by 6 to 9 months.
Maybe running modinfo under each one and look at the output.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and