[CentOS] X login screen fails on the first try

Tue Oct 2 00:56:23 UTC 2007
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 16:45 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:49:48 -0700
> Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Make sure DNS is working properly.  For some reason, Xorg and/or GDM
> > has a problem starting up if networking is unavailable and/or DNS
> > lookups can't be performed.
>
> My first attempt to reply to this seems to have vanished somewhere, so here it
> is again:
>
> That's interesting.  Do you know of anything in particular that I should look
> at or test in this regard?  Internet access to and from this machine appears to
> be working perfectly.  (I can ssh in from here and run a web browser and browse
> web pages with no problem.)
>
> On this note, it may be relevant to note that this machine is a LTSP 4.2 server.
>
> All of the terminals come up just as they should when the server is booted up
> -- the gdm login screens appear on all of the terminals; it's just the gdm
> login screen on the server itself that fails to load.
>

> > Some judicious editing of /etc/hosts may work around this.
>
> Do you see anything wrong with this?  It looks pretty much the same as what I
> had on the Fedora 6 machine that this is replacing.
>
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       main.server    main   localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 142.165.59.200  theatre
> 69.11.102.182   webserver
> ## LTSP-begin ##
> #
> # The lines between 'LTSP-begin' and 'LTSP-end' were added
> # on: Tue Sep 25 20:51:56 2007, by the ltspcfg configuration tool.
> # For more information, visit the LTSP homepage
> # at http://www.LTSP.org
> #
>
> 192.168.0.1     ws001.ltsp      ws001
> 192.168.0.2     ws002.ltsp      ws002
> 192.168.0.3     ws003.ltsp      ws003
> 192.168.0.4     ws004.ltsp      ws004
>
> .. and so on to
>
> 192.168.0.252   ws252.ltsp      ws252
> 192.168.0.253   ws253.ltsp      ws253
> 192.168.0.254   ws254.ltsp      ws254
>
> ## LTSP-end ##
----
I would think that perhaps the adjustments that ltspadmin makes to gdm
to allow remote logins got replaced. Run ltspadmin again and have it
make the adjustments again and restart the computer

Craig